NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS (APRIL/MAY)
Dear Friends of Caritas Singapore,
Blessed Eastertide! May the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ bring hope, joy, peace and love in your life.
We are in the eighth week of Charities Week, and we thank you for all your contributions,
big or small.
To date, we have raised about $5 million of our $7.5 million target and we still have a long way to go.
Your donations will help our 27 charities and organisations to serve and empower those in need.
Charities Week will close in about two weeks time so please continue to send in your donations.
Every dollar counts!
CARITAS SINGAPORE EVENTS
To ensure the safety of our service users, volunteers and staff, face-to-face programmes and services within the Caritas Singapore family are limited. Note: Most programmes remain online.
Click on the link below to access resources, register for a programme, and refer someone you know to services and programmes offered by the Caritas Singapore family.
In this time of uncertainty for many, especially for those seeking job opportunities, here are some positions available within the Caritas Singapore family. If you know someone who meets the job requirements, please do share this with them.
Various Positions at Assisi Hospice
Assisi Hospice is hiring various positions:
– Senior/ Medical Social Worker
– Resident Physician
– Nurse Clinician
– Senior Staff Nurse/ Staff Nurse (Inpatient/ Home Care/ Daycare)
– Enrolled Nurse (Inpatient)
For more information on each role, click here.
Various Positions at Boys’ Town
Boys’ Town is hiring various positions:
– Inventory Transport & Maintenance Support Officer
– Social Worker, Therapeutic Group Home
– Youth Worker, Residential Services
– Youth Worker (Night), Residential Services
– Youth Worker, YouthReach
– Youth Worker, Residential Services (Temporary)
For more information on each role, click here.
Student Care Teachers/ Preschool Teachers at Canossaville
Canossaville Children & Community Services is hiring Preschool Teachers / Student Care Teachers. Refer here for details. Applicants to submit their resume here.
Social Work Associate at Catholic Welfare Services
Catholic Welfare Services is hiring a Social Work Associate. For more information on the role, click here.
Various Positions at Morning Star Community Services Morning Star
Community Services is hiring various positions.
– Facilitator, Student Care Services
– CareNights Facilitator (Part-Time, weekdays only, 5pm – 10pm)
– NOVA Facilitator
Click here for full listing and details for each role.
Mount Alvernia Hospital is hiring for more than 20 positions.
Mount Alvernia Hospital is looking at filling vacancies for various positions: – Systems Support Officer
– Healthcare Assistant (Endoscopy Department)
– Pharmacy Technician
– Senior/ Executive, Medical Affairs
– Administrative Assistant/ Officer (F&B)
– Patient Service Assistant/ Officer (Shift Duties)
– Senior/ Staff Nurse (various positions from different department/ ward)
– Laboratory Technologist
– Information Security Officer
– Patient Service Assistant (Booking Office)
– Patient Service Assistant/ Officer (Shift Duties)
For details for each position, please click here.
Abilities Beyond Limitations and Expectations Limited (ABLE)
As part of promoting self-care, ABLE is recruiting volunteers to support the following programmes.
1. P2P Befrienders for Care Recipients
Befriend care recipients (persons with physical challenges) on a one-on-one basis at ABLE’s Respite Centre.
Commitment period: More than 6 months
Day/ time: every Mondays from 10am
Duration per session: 1½ hrs
Skills required: Active listening, good communication skill
Minimum age of volunteers: 25 and above
Venue: 7A Lorong 8 Toa Payoh Singapore 319264
2. Caregiver Support Group
Plan curriculum and run the support group. This support group is for family caregivers of persons with disability. The support group also serves as a place for caregivers to hear from each other and to support each other in their times of difficulty.
3. Cooking/ Baking Volunteer Trainer for Caregivers
Volunteer is required to plan and execute creative recipes which can be completed within an hour.
Additional details for volunteer roles 2 and 3:
Commitment period: Once a week (afternoon) for cycles of 8 weeks (= 6 months)
Minimum age of volunteers: 25 and above.
Sessions held online via Zoom. Conversational Mandarin/dialect (good to have, not required).
Attitude: Positivity and cheerfulness
Please click here with the subject title “Volunteering with ABLE” to indicate your interest to volunteer for the volunteer opportunity at ABLE.
Archdiocesan Commission for the Pastoral Care of Migrants & Itinerant People (ACMI)
ACMI supports migrants through Case Management, Skills Development, Community Outreach and Formation. They are looking for skilled and experienced Volunteer Trainers to provide various Skills Development courses for migrants (mainly Foreign Domestic Workers and Spouses).
• Plan curriculum and run any of the following Skills Training Course (in order of priority):
1) Cooking (Fridays, 1.30pm to 3.30pm – 2 recipes per session, 9 sessions per term)
2) Baking (Thursdays, 10.00am to 12.00pm – 2 recipes per session,9 sessions per term)
3) Hairdressing (weekdays, 9 sessions per term)
4) Dressmaking (weekdays, 9 sessions per term)
• Open to working with migrants to empower them with new skillsets.
• Interview with ACMI staff to assess suitability.
• Attend volunteer training.
• Commitment of at least 1 year (either weekday or Sundays)
Venue: Agape Village (7A Lorong 8 Toa Payoh Singapore 319264)
Please click here with the subject title “Volunteering with ACMI” to indicate your interest to volunteer for the volunteer opportunity at ACMI.
Boys’ Town is still looking for the following volunteers.
1. Tutor for Residential Youths – Secondary level Mathematics/Geography
Day: Tue or Wed evenings – April to July
Time: 8pm – 9.30pm
Location: Boys’ Town (Upper Bukit Timah)
Vacancies: 6 for Mathematics, 1 for Geography
2. Volunteer Transport Minder for Sanctuary Care
This role involves transporting the children we serve as they sometimes must travel between their natural homes, respite carer’s home and school.
Help is required on weekday mornings/evenings (school run) and weekend mornings (to and from biological parents).
3. Media Club Volunteer
Day: Every Friday
Time: 4pm to 6pm
Commitment: At least 6 months
Info: The Media club is an interest group we run for our residential boys. We are looking for volunteers to conduct the following activities on a weekly basis!
• Organize photoshoot opportunities around the campus
• Teach basic photo-editing skills
• Guide and coach the youths in photography
Vacancy: 1 pax
Interested volunteers can write to Ms Dian Amirah here or call her at 66905420 (ext. 472). She will assess your suitability and guide you on the registration process where applicable.
Canossaville Children & Community Services (CCCS)
Canossaville Children and Community Services (CCCS) is a Catholic social service agency, serving and impacting the lives of children and their families across their preschool and primary years, regardless of race, language or religion.
Student Care Helper
Support the student care needs for Primary School children e.g. safety of children, assisting with activities and homework supervision
Commitment period: at least 3 months
Day/ time:At least once a week between Monday and Friday between 2pm to 6pm (due to MCCY restrictions of total numbers of volunteers allowed at centre due to COVID-19).
Duration per session: 4 hours
Skills required: No experience required
Minimum age of volunteers: 18 and above
Venue: 1 Sallim Road (Gate 3) Singapore 38762
Interested volunteers can write to Mr Jervis Kang here. He will assess your suitability and guide you on the registration process where applicable.
Catholic Welfare Services (CWS)
CWS is looking for the following volunteers to support the poor and vulnerable they serve.
1. Medical Escorts for Elderly Resident at St Vincent Home
St. Vincent Home was set up in 1979 by Catholic Welfare Services and the Society of St Vincent de Paul as a joint project. It is a sheltered home in a residential arrangement that provides basic amenities to its ambulant elderly residents (above 60 years of age, and rely on public assistance as they have no immediate family to care for them).
• To accompany your assigned buddy (elderly resident at St Vincent Home) for their medical appointments.
• Volunteers familiar with the medical systems in Singapore preferred.
• Volunteer will need to be alert to check medication prescribed to an assigned buddy is accurate and to convey the prescription to the staff at St Vincent Home after the appointment. This will support staff to accurately administer/ pack medicine for the resident.
• Preferably able to speak Mandarin and Chinese dialects.
• Volunteers will not be required to bear the costs of transport to and fro St Vincent Home and the hospital. Volunteers who drive and have their own vehicle are welcomed to use their own transport for this role.
Time: According to the assigned buddy’s medical appointment date and time. Could take the full morning or afternoon.
Commitment: At least 3 to 6 months.
2. Project Fulfilment Support at [email protected]
[email protected] is a project initiated by CWS in November 2009 to provide vocational training and supported employment to adults with intellectual challenges. They are looking for volunteers 21 years & above, able to perform assigned duties independently.
Role: Support the adults with intellectual challenges to fulfil work projects through the packing of items
Time: At least one fixed weekday per week between 10am to 3.30pm OR 12.30am to 3.30pm
Commitment: At least 3 to 6 months
Please click here with the subject title “Volunteering with CWS” to indicate your interest to volunteer for the volunteer opportunity at CWS.
Do you have a desire to work with Catholic youth and support them in their mental health space? Clarity Singapore is looking for Catholic volunteers (18 and above) who are passionate and desire to make an impact in the Catholic youth mental health space at your school, parish or church community. Some potential volunteering opportunities:
• Participating/co-facilitating in focus group discussions.
• Plan and execute follow-up projects
More information can be found here.
Infant Jesus Homes and Children’s Centres (IJHCC)
IJHCC serves children and youth from diverse racial groups and religions. They are looking to fill the following volunteer roles to extend the work they do. Roles:
1. Writer (ability to work from home)
a. write articles of the latest updates/ events as frequently as once a week.
b. volunteer could also be required to do proofreading of articles.
c. and possibly support with the creation of Annual Report including the layout of articles, etc.
d. volunteer will be required to share articles they have written previously for IJHCC staff to assess the suitability of writing style.
2. Graphics Designer (ability to work from home)
a. design poster/pamphlets or brochure.
3. Operations Support (Galilee Centre – Blk 641, #01-800, Ang Mo Kio Ave 4, S’pore 560641)
a. support staff to manage operational needs at Galilee Centre’s outreach services every Saturdays (9am to 12pm).
b. includes the opening, closing of centre and enforcing safe-management measures.
c. manage the safety of children and SOP of parents/ visitors.
d. ability to work independently with minimal supervision by staff. On-job training will be provided.
e. matured personality to handle difficult situations.
4. Guitar/ Ukulele Instructor (Galilee Centre)
a. experienced in teaching children (ukulele) and youth (guitar) preferred.
b. instructor should be able to plan the curriculum for the musical instrument class.
c. For Ukulele Instructor preferably can provide ukuleles for the students.
d. Available on Saturdays (preferably in the afternoon).
5. Homework Coach (Galilee Centre)
a. familiar with the current primary school curriculum.
b. ability to provide coaching for preferably English and Maths or Chinese.
c. primary needs are on Saturdays (10.30am to 12pm) and limited needs for weekday afternoons (1.30pm to 5pm).
d. assist with student care help.
6. Door-to-door Outreach (one-off, on Saturday. UPDATE: postponed till further notice)
a. to conduct door-to-door survey about the support/ needs required by residents living in a few HDB blocks nearby Church of Christ the King.
b. surveys will be conducted in pairs.
Requirement (for volunteer roles #1 to #5 above):
a. Commitment of at least 6 months or longer.
b. To be in regular communication with IJHCC staff on volunteer role and deliverables.
c. Interested volunteers will be assessed by the staff of IJHCC of suitability before confirming volunteer role and engagement.
Please click here with the subject title “Volunteering with IJHCC” to indicate your interest to volunteer for the volunteer opportunity at IJHCC.
As we celebrate 200 years of Catholicism in Singapore, we pray that God continues to call each of us to serve our brothers and sisters in need through our God-given gifts. Please continue to keep us in your prayers
If you need help, or you know someone who needs help, please call our helpline: 8375 3125. We are here for you.
Click here to see the previous newsletters.