Befrienders for People With Disabilities (PWDs) and Caregivers
As part of promoting self-care, ABLE is recruiting volunteers (aged 25 years and above) with the following qualities to support the following programmes.
- Empathy, compassion (not pity)
- Active listening skills
- Humility, befriendee-first
- Seeing PWDs as equal persons, not charity cases or something to “improve”
- Patience & flexibility
- Discretion to observe confidentiality
- P2P Befrienders for Care Recipients
Befriend care recipients (persons with physical challenges) on a one-on-one basis at ABLE’s Respite Centre.
Commitment period: More than 6 months
Day/ time: every Mondays from 10am
Duration per session: 1½ hrs
Skills required: Active listening, good communication skill
Venue: Agape Village (7A Lorong 8 Toa Payoh Singapore 319264)
- Caregiver Support Group (via Zoom)
Plan curriculum and run the support group. This support group is for family caregivers of persons with disability. The support group also serves as a place for caregivers to hear from each other and to support each other in their times of difficulty.
- Cooking/ Baking Volunteer Trainer for Caregivers (via Zoom)
Volunteer is required to plan and execute creative recipes which can be completed within an hour.
Additional details for volunteer roles 2 and 3:
- Commitment period: Once a week (afternoon) for cycles of 8 weeks (= 6 months)
- Sessions held online via Zoom.
- Conversational Mandarin/dialect (good to have, not required).
- Attitude: Positivity and cheerfulness
Please click here with the subject title “Volunteering with ABLE” to indicate your interest to volunteer with ABLE.